Legal help

The Justice and Equity Centre is a specialist legal centre. Our work is focused on cases that can lead to systemic change, with widespread community benefit.  

We do not usually provide legal help to people who contact us directly, unless they are eligible for our Homeless Persons’ Legal Service (HPLS).

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness, you may be eligible for HPLS legal help. Find out who HPLS can help and what legal problems we can help with.

Find other free legal help

If you live in NSW and need legal help, you can contact Law Access. They can give you legal information and identify services in your area that can help you. You can also find information about a range of legal problems and how to resolve them at the Legal Aid website.

Another way to find free legal help is to contact your local Community Legal Centre using the Community Legal Centres NSW website.

If you live outside NSW, you will need to search for Legal Aid in your state or territory and contact them to ask about local services, or find your local Community Legal Centre through the Community Legal Centres Australia website.

If you are not eligible for help from legal aid or a community legal centre, you can try to get free legal help for certain legal problems from a pro bono lawyer through Justice Connect.

Find a private lawyer

If you are not eligible for free legal help, you may need to pay for a private lawyer. 

To find a private lawyer in NSW who specialises in the type of law your problem relates to, you can search the Law Society of NSW Register of Solicitors. To find a lawyer outside NSW, contact the Law Society or Institute in your state or territory.

Every donation helps build a fairer, stronger society.

Keep up to date with our work

Subscribe for updates including media coverage, event invitations and progress stories. You will hear from us about twice a month.